You are here
Home > Bohemians > The Gypsies beat Cork City to advance to Cup Semi Final

The Gypsies beat Cork City to advance to Cup Semi Final


Darryl Geraghty reports from Dalymount Park 

Bohs young guns progress to the semi final of the EA Sports Cup with an impressive 2-0 win against Cork City.

With such a quick turn around from Fridays league exertions, changes were a aplenty despite this being one of the better oppertunities for silverware for both sides.

Bohs, making eight changes, had a couple of long distance efforts as both sides felt each other out. The visitors then settled and James Tilley began to get on the ball in the “number 10” position and had two efforts of his own.

The Gypsies then missed a glorious chance to take the lead on the half hour mark. Luke Wade-Slater did brilliantly well to get to the end line and cut back to full debutant Ross Tierny, who saw his shot blocked from inside the area. The ball fell kindly to Ryan Graydon, but just as the winger was about to pull the trigger, Conor McCarthy clipped his leg.

Up stepped Sam Byrne but his low penalty was sharply saved down to this left by Tadhg Ryan.

Bohs, who started with just three players over the age of 20, took the lead shortly after.Scott Allardice battled and won the ball back in midfield, quickly spreading the play to Graydon. The pacey wide man took the ball in his stride and smashed an early snap shot off the near post and it was Tierney who reacted quickest to tap home.

Cork, who made six changes of their own reacted well to the set back and skipper Kevin O’Connor began playing further forward and tested James Talbot with a volley just before the break.

The second half had a bit more bite to it as both sets of players remembering what was at stake. The Leesiders were making all of the running and were unlucky not to have equalised. Darragh Rainsford, who had gone up front, collected the ball on the edge of the area and smashed the cross bar with a right footed effort. Moments later, substitute Daire O’Connor fizzed an effort inches past Talbots far post.

Just as Cork pressed they were undone on the break, when Sam Byrne released half time substitute Danny Mandroiu over the top. Just as the Bohs attacker was about to pull the trigger Sean McLaughlin looked to bundle him over from behind. Mandroiu made no mistake from the spot smashing it high to the left hand side to make it 2-0 and give Keith Long’s men their first win in six games.

Bohemian FC: James Talbot, Scott Allardice, Robbie McCourt (Danny Mandroiu 45’), Sam Byrne, Ryan Graydon (Dawson Devoy 69’), James Finnerty, Andy Lyons, Paddy Kirk, Michael Barker (c), Ross Tierney, Luke Wade-Slater (Keith Ward 54’)

Subs: Sean Bohan, Darragh Leahy, Danny Mandroiu, Keith Ward, Alex Kelly, Ali Reghba, Dawson Devoy

Cork City: Tadhg Ryan, Conor McCarthy (Colm Horgan 90+1), Dan Casey, Sean McLoughlin, Ronan Hurley (Daire O’Connor 70’), Garry Buckley (c), James Tilley, Kevin O’Connor, Darragh Rainsford, Graham Cummins (Gearoid Morrissey 58’), Shane Griffin

Subs: Mark McNulty, Colm Horgan, Gearoid Morrissey, Daire O’Connor, Pierce Phillips, Beineon O’Brien-Whitmarsh, Garry Comerford

Referee: Robert Hennessy


Similar Articles

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.