You are here
Home > Bohemians > Duffus the difference as Waterford sink Bohemians

Duffus the difference as Waterford sink Bohemians


A touch of class from Courtney Duffus was enough to claim all three points in the race at the top of the table as Waterford escaped Dalymount Park with a huge 1-0 victory despite being under the cosh for the majority of the game.

A sun soaked Dalymount Park played host to a high flying Waterford FC with the hosts desperately trying to pull away from the bottom two.

The hosts started the brighter and striker Dinny Corcoran had a huge chance to break the deadlock after just three minutes. Garry Comerford’s scuffed clearance fell invitingly to Corcoran inside the area, but the big number nine scuffed his volley straight at Lawrence Vigoroux.

The visitors responded well with chances of their own, with ex-Bohs favorite Ismahil Akinade and Courtney Duffus threatening Shane Supple’s goal following some neat link up play.

The talented duo combined excellently to put their side ahead after 17 minutes, when Akinade flicked the ball out wide to the ex-Everton man. Duffus showed tremendous skill and balance to cut inside two defenders and strike over the on-coming Supple.

As expected, the home side rallied and began to dominate possession and were terribly unlucky not to get an equalizer from Keith Ward’s in-swinging corner that was cleverly cleared off the line by Akinade who reacted sharply.

Bohs began the second half in much the same fashion, dominating possession but with a bit more intent. And 10 minutes into the second half Dalymount was up in arms. Dylan Watts burst through the line of Waterford defence into the box and looked to be blatantly bundeld over in the box. As both sets of players came to a stand still expecting the whistle, nothing came and the referee waved play on!

Incensed by the decision, Bohs boss Keith Long was sent to the stands for protesting too much as the home fans exploded in anger. Feeding off this disgruntlement and uproar from the fans, Bohs upped the tempo again and both Ward and Devaney went close to equalizing with the outstanding Dylan Watts beginning to take control of the game from midfield.

However, Waterford to their credit showed serious resilience and bravery to weather the storm and played some tidy football of their own through Bastien Hery, calmly keeping possession to take the sting out of the game when possible.

Right before the final whistle the home side were tantalizingly close to getting that elusive equalizer. Rob Cornwall flicked on Ward’s corner and at the back post, his centre half partner Casey rose highest but was inches wide with his flicked header.

And as was the case for the majority of the season so far the Gypsies were unable to turn dominance and quality football into points and left empty handed.

Bohemian FC: Shane Supple, Darragh Leahy, Dan Casey, Rob Cornwell, Dinny Corcoran, Keith Ward, Kevin Devaney, Oscar Brennan, Keith Buckley, Dylan Watts, Eoghan Stokes

Subs: Sean Bohan, Philly Gannon, Danny Grant, Ian Morris, JJ Lunney, Patrick Kirk, Rob Manley

Waterford FC: Lawrence Vigoroux, Garry Comerford, Paul Keegan, Courtney Duffus, Faysel Kasmi, Derek Daly, Rory Feely, Dylan Barnett, Bastien Hery, Stanley Aborah, Ismahil Akinade

Subs: Niall Corbett, Jack Larkin, Sander Puri, John Martin, Dean O’Halloran, Dean Walsh, Daryl Walsh

Referee: Ray Matthews

Darryl Geraghty

Similar Articles

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.