You are here
Home > Galway United > Limerick safe despite Galway United’s late comeback

Limerick safe despite Galway United’s late comeback

A four-goal draw was played out in the Markets field on Friday night. A Rodrigo Tosi penalty and a Chiedozie Ogbene finish looked to have given Limerick the full points but a second half comeback from Galway thanks to an Eoghan McCormack penalty and a Ronan Murray strike.

After a twenty five minute delay to kick off due to a ‘kit clash’ the game finally got underway and Galway were the better side in the opening periods of the game as Limerick looked to sit deep and look to counter. The first opportunity of the game fell to Kevin Devaney as he pounced on a mis hit from Shane Tracy and produced a top class save from Brendan Clarke in the Limerick net.

Limerick would then find the breakthrough and in the thirty fifth minute, Ogbene was seemed to be fouled in the box and a penalty was awarded. Rodrigo Tosi stepped up and slotted the penalty into the bottom right for his 14th goal of the season.

Only eight minutes later and Limerick were on the scoresheet again. Good play between Stephen Kenny and Rodrigo Tosi saw Kenny crossing the ball into the box and Ogbene tapped in at the back post. Limerick should have scored again before the break when Tosi put Kenny through on goal but defender Stephen Folan caught up Kenny who had slowed down with and Kenny could only manage a tame attempt on goal.

Galway started the second half strongly were on the scoresheet almost instantly, when after a minute into the half, Ronan Murray intercepted a Bastien Héry header back to substitute keeper Freddy Hall and finished past the Bermudan goalkeeper to give hope to the big Galway following who attended the game.

Galway were then awarded a penalty with 20 minutes left. Ronan Murray stepped up to take for his second of the game but was denied thanks to a magnificent bottom corner save from Freddy Hall who was at full stretch to knock the ball behind.

After Hall’s save though he would then give Galway a lifeline. As he came out to punch clear a in swinging cross he collided with Ronan Murray and a penalty was awarded. Eoin McCormack stepped up and placed his penalty into the bottom left corner sending the keeper the wrong way.

The game finished a draw and saw Limerick secure their Premier Division status for next season. Galway will feel they should have won this and will be disappointed they could not achieve maximum points.

Harry Coyne

Similar Articles

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.