You are here
Home > Bohemians > Cork City to crawl over the finishing line after Bohs draw

Cork City to crawl over the finishing line after Bohs draw

The title race rumbles on as Bohs and Cork played out a highly entertaining 0-0 draw.

With a rumoured 1000 Cork fans travelling to a blustery Dalymount Park, John Caulfield’s troops hoped to end their 12 year wait for a league title but it wasn’t to be as an impressive Bohs side kept the champagne on ice, for now anyway.

Having seen their 17 point lead eroded over the recent weeks, maybe nerves played a part, but the league leaders didn’t play to their maximum, or weren’t allowed to by a dogged Bohs team looking for the elusive point to mathematically guarantee safety.

In a first have that would be best described as a war of attrition, both teams had decent spells of possession with neither grabbing the game by the scruff.

The Champions elect looked a threat through Karl Sheppard over the top and the pacey Kieran Sadlier on the right wing. And it was the winger who had the first effort of note cutting inside onto his left foot and drilling a low effort just wide of the near post that had Shane Supple scrambling.

With nearly 20 minutes played, controversy ensued when Sheppard broke the Bohs offside trap. The front man looked to have nicked the ball away from the onrushing Supple and dramatically leapt over the challenge, but referee Robert Harvey saw nothing wrong and waved play on, much to the relief of the Gypsie faithful.

The home side grew in confidence from them and looked dangerous themselves through Ismahil Akinade’s pace on the right wing causing havoc. Dan Byrne and Oscar Brennan had pot shots as the home fans began to come alive.

The second half continued at a rip roaring pace with the hosts forcing the issue higher up the field. A spate of early corners got the home fans on their feet and had their own chance to be up in arms over a controversial decision.

The impressive Kavanagh crossed deep to the back post where it looked that Akinade was being hauled to the ground by Shane Griffin. Everyone on the field stopped as the referee looked on and eventually decided to wave away the protests.

The best chance of the half fell to Bohs top scorer Dinny Corcoran from another quality Kavanagh cross. The big number nine found himself free in the box but was unable to generate any power behind the header to trouble McNulty.

As the game drew to a close, there was time for one more chance. Substitute Ian Morris had a right footed effort that forced the Cork stopper into one more top class save.

The dramatic game finished 0-0 as the Leesider’s celebrations continue to be put on hold, while the valuable point guarantees the Phibsboro based outfit premier division football for next season.

Bohemian FC: Shane Supple, Derek Pender (c), Dan Byrne, Rob Cornwall, Dinny Corcoran, Paddy Kavanagh, Oscar Brennan, Fuad Sule, Dan Casey, Ismahil Akinade, Dylan Hayes

Subs: Colin McCabe, Philip Gannon, Eoghan Morris, George Poynton, Jamie Hamilton, Andy Lyons

Cork City: Mark McNulty, Alan Bennett, Ryan Delaney, Greg Bolger (c), Jimmy Keohane, Stephen Dooley, Kieran Sadlier, Gearoid Morrissey, Karl Sheppard, Shane Griffin, Garry Buckley

Subs: Alan Smith, Conor McCormack, Achille Campion, Connor Ellis, Conor McCarthy, Robbie Williams, Sean McLoughlin

Referee: Robert Harvey

Darryl Geraghty

Similar Articles

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.