You are here
Home > Finn Harps > Finn Harps move out of relegation zone

Finn Harps move out of relegation zone

By Connor McGinty.

Finn Harps moved out of the relegation zone after a superb 3-2 victory at home to Limerick after brushing a side Liam Buckley’s men on Monday night.

As we learned on Monday early starts are vital and Harps replicated the impressive start witnessed on Monday. Ciaran Coll from the edge of the box had a header
destined for the top right corner stopped magnificently by Bermudian shot stopper Freddy Hall.
Harps capitalised on the resulting corner with an acrobatical effort saved before O’Connor tapped in from close range.

The lead didn’t last long however, an immediate equaliser was scored by Lee-J Lynch after his long range free kick was untouched and with the help of the turf found it’s
way into Gallagher’s net.

An exciting opening twenty minutes and on 21 minutes the Ballybofey Outfit regained their lead. McAleer crossed first time to pick out Danny Morrissey who was waiting
patiently to fire home making it 3 goals in 2 games for the striker.

Limerick had chance to yet again draw the game level in a fiercely contested affair when Lynch found himself clear on the right flank. The Limerick number 7 switched
the play to Ogbene but failed to convert pulling far wide from short distance.

Ollie Horgan’s side seized on the wasted Limerick opportunity. Caolan McAleer curled in a beautiful goal to the top corner that came in off the post to conclude an
action past first half. “The superblues” looked to start a comeback early on but a calm Tosi header on 47 was easilly gathered by Gallagher.

An open game was an accurate three word description of the performance on the pitch but Cantwell had the chance to make sure the three points stayed in ballybofey.
A Paddy McCourt free kick was played short to Ciaran O’Connor at the corner of the box but a soft header went into the hands of Hall.

Paul O’Connor who was earlier introduced for captain Shane Duggan made sure an exciting finish was had in the twin towns equalising on the 86th minute.
A good corner was only displaced back to the edge of the box where O’Connor brought the ball down and rifled home into the bottom left corner to the delight of
a small amount of travelling supporters.

Mickey Funston, who earlier confirmed during the week that the game against Limerick would be his last almost had a fairytale ending after a fourteen year career.
Funston showed a burst of pace to beat several Limerick players however couldn’t find the net on what really would have been the perfect conclusion to a career of
a Finn Harps legend.

After a late challenge Danny Morrissey was shown a straight-red card by Keith Kennedy of the Irish FA. With 10 men Dean Clarke had a perfect chance to ensure the long
journey was shortened with a point to take home however the subdued effort brought the game to a close.

Harps now face Sligo before the midseason break in the Showgrounds and Limerick host the seagulls.

Similar Articles

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.