You are here
Home > Finn Harps > Morrissey Brace helps Harps survival bid

Morrissey Brace helps Harps survival bid

A first half brace for Danny Morrissey saw the fellow Cork City man bag his first goals in the blue and white under the guidance of Ollie Horgan.

A crucial three points that now see the Ballybofey club being 1 of 5 clubs who sit on a tally of 14 points, lifting them off the foot of the table with Drogheda below them having a game in hand.

It didn’t take long for the first goal to arrive in this battle at the bottom, the ball dropping from the sky with O’Malley out to gather however a misjudged situation by the Pat’s goalkeeper gave the striker an open net to loop it over the keeper.

The lead was almost doubled immediately with the same man, Morrissey looking to contribute even further after a lengthy spell on the side-line. Slipped through but the panic was soon concluded with O’Malley coming to gather well.

The momentum shifted from on the field to off the field and with the Harps faithful behind their team it got better for Ollie Horgan’s side. After a Bermingham free kick hit the side netting for the visitors, a defensive mix up at the other end of the field gave the perfect opportunity for the man of the moment to add his and Harps’ second.
A crucial time to open your scoring for the season and others wanted in on the act. A brilliant Jonny Bonner free kick, only recovering himself was delivered perfectly with Packie Mailey rising well after what he described as a “frustrating period for me, after the Sligo game, it’s been a tough road back but nice to see some light at the end of the tunnel.
Obviously nice to get game time and the goal capped it off.”

The Convoy native sees ” no easy game in a dog eat dog situation with the survival of the fittest important to pick up points tonight after a couple of bad results but we’ll concentrate now on the upcoming games.”

Liam Buckley’s side looked to if anything help their goal difference and made two subs at halftime with Josh O’Hanlon and Lunney replacing Byrne and Kelly respectively. Darragh Markey found himself at the by-line but lunging to keep it in only saw Gallagher pick it up to his ease.
With half an hour left, the visitors changed to a back three looking to attack and they’re tactical adaptation nearly paid off 10 minutes later with Peers forcing an acrobatical clearance off the line from Mickey Funston.

A rare Pat’s counter attack with Markey and Josh O’Hanlon both breaking out trying to find a goal and a positive to bring back to Inchicore but sharp defending cut out the danger.
With a first clean sheet in five games on the line it wasn’t going to be a perfect end for the Donegal outfit with Christy Fagan found brilliantly in the box to finish well and set up an exciting closing 10 minutes.

The comeback was certainly a possibility and when Conan Byrne found space at the end of the box a curling shot just went millimeters wide to the disappointment of a small band of traveling supporters.

A huge three points with momentum and morale hopefully building ahead of another home game this Friday night at home to Munster’s blue army before a trip to Yeats County on the second of June.

Similar Articles

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.