You are here
Home > Finn Harps > Late Madden Goal denies Harps a point in Tallaght

Late Madden Goal denies Harps a point in Tallaght

Connor McGinty

A late 89th minute winner scored by Simon Madden sent the ballybofey side down the road unlucky not to be leaving with a second half performance that deserved a point.

It was a dream start for Stephen Bradley’s Rovers side with David McAllister letting go from a distance guiding a spectacular shot off the underside of the crossbar with the host’s first shot of the game.

The first 10 minutes saw Shamrock Rovers passing about comfortably, Chencinski with no danger to worry about to his goal.

As if Shamrock Rovers weren’t confident enough Ronan Finn in space drifted in from the left to centre himself let go of another long range pile-driver again striking the frame of the goal this time the left post with only their second shot of the game.

Shamrock Rovers were composed, confident and clearly on top however with McAleer drifting in from the right to find himself in the box many were questioning were the ball struck Daniel Devine but penalty shouts were waved away by referee Sean Grant.

Ciaran O’Connor was replaced minutes later by the experience Barry Molloy who settled the ship in what was a choppy sea for Finn Harps in the first half.

The much Sought after Ronan Finn proved his value not only with a goal and an assist in the first half but he was allowed to wander by the Ballybofey side something which nearly proved costly just before halftime when he picked out Graham Burke who couldn’t get the shot off in the 18 yard box.

Finn Harps had a mountain to climb and with Houston being moved up front Shamrock Rovers sat back inviting pressure who felt they had the game won.

The confidence and composure described in their first half performance had vanished and it was a complete turn around with Finn Harps the more comfortable team looking to go home with at least a point and to try go unbeaten in five games for the first time in 16 years.

Eddie Dsane was introduced on the 67th minute had a great impact again tonight proving to be a great signing for Horgan’s team who were the superior outfit in the second half.

The superiority showed and Houston played in a magnificent pass from the edge of the box to set up the Omagh man McAleer for his first goal in the Blue in White, or tonights case of Yellow and blue.

It was Dsane who shone when introduced and some magnificent footwork nearly saw McAleer through again but Dsane did win a free kick on the 75th minute one that would prove a talking point.

The favourite to strike the dead ball was the Celtic legend Paddy McCourt and he made sure he capitalised on a great position, drilling the ball along the ground, around Chencinski’s wall to draw the two teams level to the delight of the travelling support , Media Included.

Harps had chances to win it but Simon Madden made sure they didn’t in the 89th minute . Barry Molloy blocked a shot but with a defensive error the Shamrock Rovers right back lofted it over the helpless Ciaran Gallagher.

Ollie outlined post match his frustration “with a couple of long term injuries which might hurt us and is almost as disappointing as leaving without a point.
“Morale victories are no good to us and it’s a big cost with the injuries aswell It’ll be a good test of the squad but they’re a good bunch and lads will step up to the mark on Monday night and bring it into Dundalk on Friday”

With great performances in all his substitute appearances surely the wonder will be can Eddie Dsane now step in and remain in the squad something the south London footballer hopes he can “show what he can do” and make an impact on the teams results.

But the last line has to go to the new recruit which in reality sums up the mentality in the Finn Harps camp “we fear no team in this league”.

Similar Articles

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.