Following a proposal from the Premier Clubs Alliance (PCA), the Board of the Football Association of Ireland has ratified the SSE Airtricity League switching to a 10-team, two division structure from the 2018 season.
The FAI has been in discussions with the PCA, and their legal representative Michael Cush SC, over recent months regarding all aspects of the SSE Airtricity League.
At the end of the 2017 season, the First Division champions will be promoted, while the bottom three teams in the Premier Division will be relegated.
Over the last two years, the FAI Board has placed the future of the SSE Airtricity League at the top of its list of priorities by commissioning two independent reports, to look at the overall structure of the League (Consultation Process Report) and the League as a Brand (Branding Review Report).
From the Consultation Process Report, a number of recommendations have started to be implemented, including:
- Aiding clubs with Strategic/Business Plans
- Focus on Facility Development
- Recruitment of a Marketing Executive
- Establishment of a Marketing Group with club representation
- Restructuring of the League format
- New official SSE Airtricity League website for 2017 season
The next meeting with Michael Cush and the PCA will take place on January 16