You are here
Home > Bohemians > Bohs come out on top in Dublin Derby

Bohs come out on top in Dublin Derby

Darryl Geraghty

Bohs take all three points against 10 man Rovers in a fiery Dublin derby at Dalymount Park.

In their last home game of the season, Bohs certainly gave their fans something to cheer about getting some revenge over their old enemy 1-0 with Roberto Lopes proving the hero with a well taken header.

Bohs went into tonight’s highly charged encounter looking for revenge having tasted defeat in the previous two battles this season, a crushing 4-0 home defeat at home back in April, followed by a 3-1 defeat at the Tallaght stadium back in July.

With a potential European place on the horizon for The Hoops, they started they started having a good spell of possession in a very frenetic game. They had the first good chance of the game when Gary Shaw broke from midfield hitting a thunderous right-footed effort just over Shane Supple’s bar with just five minutes played.

The first half was very much a scrappy affair with both teams showing a lot of endeavor but not much in the way of quality. The deadlock was broken with 15 minutes played following a whipped in-swinging corner from Lorcan Fitzgerald. Roberto Lopes rose highest over the outstretched arms of Barry Murphy to power his header goalwards, 1-0 to the home side.

The passionate encounter continued in much of the same vein with both sides pulling no punches with the tempo continuing at a hundred miles an hour. Bohs began to get on top putting some nice moves together that resulted in a blocked shot inside the area for Kurtis Byrne and Winger Jake Kelly going close from distance.

The host good work should have resulted in their second of the game when Keith Buckley missed a glorious chance in the 33rd minute. The energetic midfielder broke the offside trap and as Murphy raced out to meet him, his clever lob just missed the target.

The Rovers faithful looked frustrated at their sides inability to retain possession, too often looking for a long ball over left back Fitzgerald’s head.

The second half began with Bohs on top again and just five minutes in Paddy Kavanagh had a low drive drag just wide after some neat build up play including Buckley and Eoin Wearen.

As the visitors tried desperately to drag themselves back into the game their frustration boiled over with Gary McCabe and skipper Patrick Cregg found themselves in the book for late lunges a minute after each other.

The visitors found themselves facing an even bigger mountain to climb when referee Paul Tuite gave Cregg his second yellow for simulation as the midfielder raced into the box and looked to have gone down too easy with quarter of an hour still to play.

Although Bohs moved the ball well with the extra man, they failed to deliver the knockout punch that would have eased the home fans nerves, but will no doubt enjoy bragging rights over their rivals until next season.

The Gypsies make the long trip to the Brandywell next week to face Derry City, while Rovers host the champions elect Dundalk next Friday.

Bohemian FC: Shane Supple, Derek Pender (c), Lorcan Fitzgerald, Roberto Lopes, Derek Prendergast, Eoin Wearen (Dan Byrne), Keith Buckley, Kurtis Byrne (Dean O’Halloran), Jake Kelly, Patrick Kavanagh (Mark Quigley), Ian Morris

Subs: Dean Delaney, Stephen Best, Dylan Hayes, Dean Casey

Manager: Keith Long

Shamrock Rovers: Barry Murphy, David Webster, David O’Connor, Gary McCabe, Brandon Miele, Gary Shaw, Patrick Cregg (c), Simon Madden, Dean Clarke (Aaron Bolger), Sean Boyd, Shane Hanney (Luke Kiely)

Subs: Conor Gleeson, Aaron Dobbs, James Doona, Darragh Gibbons

Manager: Sami Ristila

Referee: Paul Tuite

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.