You are here
Home > Bohemians > Bohs completely outclass Wexford Youths to claim Leinster Senior Cup

Bohs completely outclass Wexford Youths to claim Leinster Senior Cup

Report: Darryl Geraghty

Bohs won their 32nd Leinster Senior League title, and in turn ending a six year wait for a trophy, with a comprehensive victory over Wexford Youths this evening. A brace each from Roberto Lopes and man of the match Kurtis Byrne sealed the comfortable victory under the lights at a busy Dalymount Park.

The hosts came into tonight’s encounter on the back of a morale boosting victory in the Dublin derby against St. Patrick’s Athletic and looked to dictate the play from the off. But for all the home sides possession, it wasn’t until the 16th minute for the real chance of note. A neat little one-two between Friday’s match winner Kurtis Byrne and Eoin Wearen, resulted in the forward hitting an excellent drive from 30 yards out. Graham Doyle in the Wexford goal did well to push it past for a corner. A succession of corners followed but the Youth’s defence held strong on this occasion.

Eventually the pressure told on the 23rd minute and it was the Gypsies took the lead. Skipper Roberto Lopes rose highest in a crowded box to nod in from Lorcan Fitzgerald’s dangerously whipped left footed corner. Nothing more than the hosts deserved.

Bohs had their tails up and were looking to kill the game from here and deservedly doubled their lead on 35th minute, and what a goal it was. Man of the moment Kurtis Byrne delightfully controlled a high cross to the back post and to the left of the goal, and with his second touch hit a looping side foot volley over the head of the scrambling Doyle to make it two.

The second half started brightly for the visitors and had a half chance just five minutes from the restart. Craig McCabe’s long throw caused havoc in the Bohs defence and the ball fell to Shane Dunne on the edge of the box, but unfortunately couldn’t get his knee over the ball and his volley rose over Shane Supple’s cross bar.

Despite the spirited attempt to comeback, which included a slight change in formation to two up top and a bit more bite in the tackle, Wexford found themselves 3-0 down with just 68 minutes played and it was the Fitzgerald / Lopes combination that did the damage. The Bohs left back drilled in a free kick from the right wing, and Lopes got ahead of his marker to glance in the third and the midfielders second of the game.

Three became four just moments later as Bohs began to pile on the misery for Wexford and their supporters. Keith Buckley broke the offside trap to find himself one on one, but as Doyle raced out to confront him he selflessly squared the ball to Byrne to tap in his second of the game as chants of “Easy, Easy” rang around Phibsboro.

A special mention goes to the travelling band of Youth’s supporters who were full of voice throughout the encounter, despite the result, but the Gypsies proved just too strong on this occasion.

Keith Long and his troops will not have much time to celebrate as they face the daunting task of hosting title-holders Dundalk this Friday back at Dalymount.
While, Shane Keegan’s Youth’s side look to bounce back when they host title chasing Derry City at Ferrycarrig Park just after the International break.

Bohemian FC: Shane Supple, Lorcan Fitzgerald, Roberto Lopes, Derek Prendergast, Dan Byrne (Warren O’Hora), Eoin Wearen, Keith Buckley, Kurtis Byrne, Paddy Kavanagh (Dean Casey), Dean O’Halloran (Jake Kelly), Dylan Hayes

Subs: Dean Delaney, Stephen Best, Ian Morris

Wexford Youths: Graham Doyle, Craig McCabe, Gary Delaney, Peter Higgins (Chris Kenny), Aidan Keenan, Aidan Friel (Vincent Quinlan), Conor Whittle (John Bonner), Shane Dunne, Stephen Last, Andrew O’Connor, Eoin Porter

Subs: Conor O’Keefe, Conor Sutton, Owen McCormack, Corey Chambers

Referee: Michael O’Connor

Similar Articles

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.