You are here
Home > Bohemians > Derry City outclass Bohs to progress to next round

Derry City outclass Bohs to progress to next round

Derry City went through as comfortable winners in tonight’s FAI Cup after defeating Bohemians in a packed Dalymount Park. Goals either side of half time from Harry Monaghan and Man of the Match Nathan Boyle gave City the win in a night to forget for The Gypsies who lost two key men through injury in the first half.

The hosts went into tonight’s FAI Cup quarter final on the back of an enthralling and moral boosting injury time victory over Sligo Rovers on Monday night, but The Gypsies were dealt a big blow prior to the game with talisman “Izzy” Akinade missing due to a virus.

Despite this set back, it was the home side who had a glorious chance just 3 minutes into the encounter, Monday’s match winner Stephen Best found himself in acres of space from an in-swinging corner, but from just six yards out, he headed straight at the grateful Gerard Doherty.

This chance seemed to wake their high-flying opponents up a little and the game became a bit more of a battle. Derry new boy Cristian Castells found himself in the book after just 8 minutes for a late lunge on the energetic Keith Buckley, whilest Best also received a caution following a late challenge in the middle of the park

Both sides exchanged good chances thereafter with Ronan Curtis drilling a shot straight at Dean Delaney and Mark Quigley hitting the bar with a header. Bohs, who were comfortable for most of the half, were dealt a major blow when skipper Derek Pender had to be replaced in the 33rd minute after going down seemingly unchallenged and had to be replaced by Dylan Hayes.

It was Derry who finally broke the deadlock in the 39th minute, with their only other chance in the first half. Harry Monaghan reacted quickest in the box when the Bohs defence failed to deal with a free kick from the right wing. The initial header was knocked down and the ball fell to the feet Monaghan, who did well to get just in front of Derek Prendergast and poke home from just 5 yards out.

Things went from bad to worse for the hosts right on the stroke of half tiime when Best went down in the center circle, again un-challenged, and looked to have twisted awkwardly on his knee. Boss Keith Long must have been cursing his luck as the half came to a close.

The visitors started the second half much the brighter and just three minutes into the second half City doubled their lead. Nathan Boyle got his eight goal of the season and a very well taken goal at that. A low cross came in from the right wing and with his first touch, Boyle controlled the ball around the corner of his marker and hammered home in off the far post.

Bohs could, and should have, got themselves back into the game after a mix up in the Derry defence allowed Buckley to race free down the left wing and with substitute Dean O’Halloran waiting unmarked in the box, the midfielder on the stretch, was unable to find the pass across goal and was intercepted by Doherty.

Bohs tried their best to get back in the game with Lorcan Fitzgerald going agonizingly close with a free kick and livewire center forward O’Halloran looking a threat with his blistering pace, but try as they might it wasn’t to be.

The visitors looked classy in possession and played the game out in a very professional manner and had a couple of half chances themselves through Northern Irish International Rory Patterson and Conor McCormack. Patterson missed a glorious chance to get the third of the game when his double effort was amazingly cleared off the line twice by Lorcan Fitzgerald.

Kenny Shiels and his troops now look forward to a tough road trip to a recently rejuvenated Bray Wanderers side while the Gypsies look to keep their good league form going, travelling across town to play Dublin rivals St. Patrick’s Athletic

Bohemian FC: Dean Delaney, Derek Pender, Lorcan Fitzgerald, Roberto Lopes, Derek Prendergast (Dylan Hayes 33’), Eoin Wearen, Keith Buckley, Mark Quigley, Jake Kelly (Dean O’Halloran 53’), Stephen Best (Dan Byrne 45’), Paddy Kavanagh

Subs: Dean Mahon, Kurtis Byrne, Ian Morris

Derry City: Gerard Doherty, Niclas Vemmelund, Dean Jarvis, Conor McCormack, Harry Monaghan, Keith Ward (Barry McNamee), Nathan Boyle, Cristian Castells (Ben Doherty 39’), Conor McDermott, Ronan Curtis, Lucas Schubert (Rory Patterson 65’)

Subs: Shaun Patton, Aaron McEneff, Josh Daniels, Rory Holden

Referee: Tomas Connolly

Darryl Geraghty

Similar Articles

One thought on “Derry City outclass Bohs to progress to next round

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.